GeoTools/ GeoServer meeting 7/3/17

Attending: Jody, Ian, Torben, Kevin, Jukka, Andrea

Agenda:

   1.

   Release planning for release candidate
   2.

   CodeSprint planning  and technical decisions
   3.

   GEOT-5632 SLD 1.0 / SE 1.1 Differences
   4.

   Library Upgrades / Wicket Upgrade Discussion
   5.

   Bug Stomp Discussion / Cleanup

Actions:

   -

   JG/?? Release Thursday/Friday
   -

   DB: Look at dependency upgrade for GEOS-7920
   -

   All: Look for code sprint sponsors
   -

   TB/JG: Find most complicated REST finder, and sort out an approach as
   part of prep
   -

Release planning for Release Candidate

Release delayed for bug stomp: GT 17-RC1 / GS 2.11-RC1 / GWC 1.11-RC1

Release volunteer(s):

   -

   Jody Volunteered to work on this Thursday/Friday (after bug stomp)
   -

   Need to make new builds and branches

Did we get any response to the beta on Jira?

   -

   nothing specific
   -

   Review for anything serious / regressions

GeoServer Search Here
<https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20GEOS%20AND%20affectedVersion%20%3D%202.11-beta>
(14 issues - 5 open)

   -

   GEOS-7997 Vector Tiles are not displaying correctly using Mapbox GL
   (improvement)

   -

   GEOS-7920 Vector Tile Extension on Geoserver look "ugly" on MapBox GL JS
   -

   GEOS-8010 Regression: dbtype and filetype store arguments should not be
   visible

GeoTools Search Here
<https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20GEOT%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20affectedVersion%20%3D%2017-beta%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC%2C%20updated%20DESC>
(8 issues)

   -

   GEOT-5590 Build Failure on Windows
   -

   GEOT-5588 SVGGraphicsFactoryTest testLocalURLXEE windows failure

Nothing above should hold up the RC1, we could take a run on the windows
build failures during RC timeline.

Consider: Upgrading dependencies now for RC1 (see agenda topic below)
CodeSprint planning and technical decisions

Planning:

   -

   Hotel? Talk to Simone for details/recommendations
   -

   Transport? Consider rental car (should be able to share or carpool)
   -

   Email treasu...@osgeo.org with travel receipt for reimbursement
   -

   We are WAY OVER BUDGET ON TRAVEL (due to everyone booking late)
   -

      Please reach out to sponsors; or we will be making the next teams
      sprint planning harder (Looking to make up 1-2k here)
      -

      Astun - can we ask them?
      -

      Vivid - may be interested due to work on REST API
      -

      Please consider who you can ask

A lot of prep is needed before we hit the ground March 27th.

   -

   We dug into REST API docs (that is not our biggest technical risk)
   -

   Want to have a working example to start from
   -

      Toreben recommend the Style endpoint as being straightforward
      -

   Approach
   -

      1) make sure we have decent tests to start from before migration
      -

         XML good
         -

         JSON weaker (check and possibly add)
         -

         Ideally we want an actual response for a regressions test
         -

      2) Migrate to Spring MVC
      -

         Resource → Controller class annotated with end points
         -

         Use example for guide to use of annotations
         -

            Intend to heavily use annotations
            -

            Pull variable names out of paths
            -

      3) Migrate JSON and XML bindings (should be able to re-use)
      -

         JSON 1.2 upgrade planned
         -

      4) Carefully migrate controller path management
      -

         One controller per resource, from then on in configured by
         annotations
         -

         risk: Finders can have some logic
         -

            Action: Find most complicated finder, and sort out an approach
            as part of prep
            -

      5) Endpoint discussion
      -

      6) Risk Importer
      -

         This is not normal rest config
         -

         This is a very flexible
         -

      7) Risk Resource Store
      -

         Simple design, but supports arbitrary paths

8) Other extensions / community modules to look out for

   -

         Extensions
         -

            Monitor, importer, xslt
            -

         Community
         -

            sld service, scripting, rest-upload, jms-cluster, geofence,
            backup/restore
            -

            Geogig has a custom rest endpoint
            -

      9) Doc prep
      -

         Automation
         -

         RST Example
         -

   Output of prep:
   -

      Notes and examples
      -

      https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/REST-API-Refresh

Any open technical questions / risks:

   -

   Doc automation? Jody does not care we just need to pick one :)
   -

   Solid example of migrating bindings showing use of xstream

Action:

   -

   JG/TB/KS have some prep time
   -

   Expect some discussion on the email list

GEOT-5632 and SLD 1.0 / SE 1.1 Differences

Link: https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/browse/GEOT-5632

SE 1.1 has anchorPoint x=0.5 y=0.5 (for both labelPlacement and
pointSymbolizer)

SLD 1.0 has anchorPoint x=0.0 y=0.5 for labelPlacement, and mandates 0.5
and 0.5 for the point symbolizer, without any way to change it

So we sort this out in the parser, by the time we hit the SLDStyleFactory
it is too late :(

Formats:

   -

   SLD - this is our library default
   -

   SE - fill in the default values
   -

   CSS - maps direct to SLD 1.0 defaults (so it should be fine)
   -

   ysld - should fill all the values (it does not rely on geotools defaults)
   -

   mbstyle - should fill all the values (it does not rely on geotools
   defaults)

Action:

   -

   Warning that fixing GEOT-5632 will have some visual changes for the
   release
   -

   Take SLD 1.0/SE 1.1 into a new bug!

[image: achorPoint.png]
Library Upgrades / Wicket Upgrade Discussion

Library upgrades:

   -

   wicket (see email for 7.6.0 recommendation)

Consider:

   -

   Jetty? etc..
   -

   going to stick with wicket

Bug Stomp Discussion / Cleanup

   -

   See GEOT-5632 above
   -

   GEOT-5461 Ian asks for help encoding the transaction
   -

      dblasby found that gt-wfs-ng was sending a WFS 2.0 request the wrong
      version of GML??
      -

      Justin may be able to help

--