So, this topic has come up before, when the OS X build server was still
usable but to be deprecated in "the near future". We didn't have too much
luck on executing on a good solution then.

My thoughts:

   - Dropping the installer would not be the end of the world, but should
   still be a last resort. The system independent binary runs fine on OS X
   (and Java is generally installed by default). If we go this route, we need
   to be sure to update the install instructions
   <http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/installation/>.
   - If we can get some OSGeo funding for a mac build server that
   definitely seems like the best option.
   - Someone manually building the installers seems like a good way to get
   a mac installer only on some releases and not on others (due to
   availability or lack thereof), which almost seems worse from a user
   perspective then not building the installer at all. I feel like we would
   want at least two volunteers if we were to seriously consider this option.

I also have a suggestion for a fourth option:

   - If we are okay with an unsigned installer, I have heard there is a way
   of spinning up a OS X build box on demand via Travis CI; this might be a
   easy way of generating the OS X artifacts. I don't know much more about
   this, but this looks like it could be another option.

Torben