Looking at the PDF user manual, I still see the version as 2.12-SNAPSHOT. I
think I may have determined where this is getting set:
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/blob/2.13.x/doc/en/build.xml#L29

Given that this issue has been occurring since sometime in 2.12, perhaps
this got broken when we changed the docbuild from using make to maven
around the time of the initial 2.12 release.

I'm rerunning the build with a potential workaround, we'll see if it helps.

Torben.