I note from last weeks board f2f meeting that a small donation was made to
GeoServer project to forward SLD interoperability with QGIS ( a source of
frustration for the OSGeo community).

This donation of $1500 from OSGeo:UK for a specific task (QGIS/GeoServer
SLD interoperability) which is a little unusual for a donation. The
treasurer asks that we action this within a calendar year (to avoid
treasurer overhead), and has added this to the OSGeo budget page.

Off the top of my head I can think of two decent approaches to improving
QGIS SLD interoperability:
- Set up QGIS to export an SLD export that makes use of GeoTools vendor
options
- Improve expression mapping from QGIS functions to GeoTools functions

Most of this work would seemly be done in GeoTools or QGIS
respectively. Andrea you have more experience here, do you have any other
suggestions for where improvement could be made?

Options to proceed:
- Ask if any members of our community are willing to work on this - if so
they could propose a small "statement of work".
- Write our own statement of work, possibly adding some of our own
GeoServer budget into the mix, and invite interested parties to respond

My preference is to ask our community members (read party has obtained
commit access).
--
Jody Garnett