I just stumbled upon what appears to be an error in the GeoServer embeded
WMTS, when using it with a global layer group virtual service.

In this instance, I am using the default release directory, and the
spearfish global layer group.

A GetTile request for a layer in that layer group will fail, for example:

http://localhost:8o80
/geoserver/spearfish/gwc/service/wmts?layer=sf%3Aarchsites&style=&tilematrixset=EPSG%3A4326&Service=WMTS&Request=GetTile&Version=1.0.0&Format=image%2Fpng&TileMatrix=EPSG%3A4326%3A14&TileCol=6941&TileRow=4143

Will return:

<ExceptionReport xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/ows/1.1"; xmlns:xsi="
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"; version="1.1.0"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.opengis.net/ows/1.1
http://geowebcache.org/schema/ows/1.1.0/owsExceptionReport.xsd";>
<Exception exceptionCode="InvalidParameterValue" locator="LAYER">
<ExceptionText>LAYER sf:archsites is not known.</ExceptionText>
</Exception>
</ExceptionReport>

I would expect to get the tile for that layer, since the layer is contained
within the spearfish layer group.

WMTS GetCapabilities only shows the layer group, however I'm not certain if
that is actually an error, since WMS getCapabilities also behaves like this
for a global layer group virtual service. Does anyone know if this is
intended functionality for WMS GetCapabilites?

*To sumarize:*

When using a global layergroup virtual service:

1. WMTS GetTile does not show tiles for layers contained within the global
layergroup. *I am reasonably confident this is a bug. *(WMS GetMap does
work for individual layers within the layer group)

2. WMS and WMTS GetCapabilities only show the global layer group, not the
layers contained within it. *I am not sure if this is a bug*.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Torben