So the problem isn’t what is actually in a particular build, just what we call
it. Long term support (backporting further than we do now) is an orthogonal
issue, and is not what I was suggesting.

I was suggesting making upgrades (potentially) easier using a combination of
two things:

*       A different versioning scheme (see below)
*       Putting everything that might be needed in a single zip file
(geoserver-with-extensions-war.zip)

Using a single zip file can reduce paperwork for getting files into certain
environments (6 zip files = 6 times as many paperwork submissions)

The versioning scheme would be mappable to the current and future schemes:

Current plan GeoServer 2.14.0 would become GeoServer 22.0 or GeoServer 20.0,
and would form the core of GeoServer BogoEnterprise 1.0.1 (since no-one wants
to field 1.0.0, right 😊)

Current plan GeoServer 2.14.1 would become GeoServer 22.1 or GeoServer 20.1,
and would form the core of GeoServer BogoEnterprise 1.0.1Mx1

Current plan GeoServer 2.15.0 would become GeoServer 23.0 or GeoServer 21.0,
and would form the core of GeoServer BogoEnterprise 1.0.2

Note that the “GeoServer BogoEnterprise 1.0” part of the name can be anything
(and probably should be something else). We could use “GeoServer UltraStable
2.13”.

The only things that would change in an implementation sense would be to add
another release module (to pick up all the core + extensions we want to
include) and a rename step in the release script. It might be nice if we could
read the version from a config file or something, and to generate docs with a
different cover page, but that isn’t really that important.

Brad