Participants

Kevin Smith

Nuno Oliveira

Torben Barsballe

Jody Garnett

Jukka Rahkonen
Actions

   -

   Torben: update the Java 11 GSIP with links to email discussion
   -

   Torben: install jdk 11 on build.geoserver.org
   -

   Jody: add a “preflight” checklist for people attending
   -

   Start email list discussion on GWC Site / GS Docs and GitHub Pages

Actions From Last Meeting

   -

   Jody: to request funding from board (done)
   -

   All: Please promote via twitter etc (done)
   -

   Jody: Action schedule breakout meeting for the above time (moved to
   email)

Agenda

   -

   OSGeo Updates
   -

   Code Sprint
   -

   GeoServer Doc & GeoWebCache site hosting

OSGeo Updates

Code sprint approved:

   -

   $2000 approved, will update sprint page to list OSGeo as host

Jody commented on osgeo todo about CITE tests:

   -

   https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/osgeo/todo/issues/25

Code Sprint

Wiki:

   -

   https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Java_2018_Code_Sprint

Finances:

   -

   We have 2-3 sponsors now, and OSGeo hosting
   -

   Budget

<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bSuf32MjgP7NKZcqvV7IilpxakKdocJ4CPUEF8jq5Z4/edit#gid=990228872>
   -

Participants:

   -

   We are down 12 people

Andrea has been adding a bunch of useful information on the mailing lists

   -

   One concern: Build times
   -
   -

   Need to capture discussion in an organized place

Sprint plan stages (from email), goal is to have something “shippable” at
the end of each stage:

   1.

   build and run in JDK 11
   Everything in our stack (jaitools, jai-ext, imageio-ext, geotools,
   geowebcache, geoserver) builds and run without any flag added, off the
   classpath (it's ok to have warnings). This will allow us to get JDK 11
   builds going.
   1.

      Compile: Andrea has made considerable progress here, to mirror you
      need to check out and build locally all the dependencies
      2.

      Pass tests: This may require updating some dependencies
      (this can be split up)
      2.

   Reduce warnings from Dependency Analysis Tools
   Get as much as possible build and run without warnings.
   1.

      This cannot be automated, and is y we have so many people in the
      sprint!
      3.

   Module repackage
   Add automatic module descriptors, eliminate split packages in library
   projects
   1.

      Repackage
      2.

      make sure we can run a true module app depending on the automatic
      modules (idea, we could use the demo module, already depending on many of
      the others, and make that one a true module?).
      3.

      Adjust imports and the like as needed in all projects, try to collect
      migration scripts to help others do the same.
      4.

   org.opengis repackage
   Swich gt-api away from using org.opengis package, upgrade everything
   else to follow
   1.

      repackage
      2.

      update emf models and regenerate

How to coordinate across teams with 8 hour time difference:

   -

   If possible teams could work independently
   -

      Spring 5 upgrade could happen concurrently with logging upgrade? More
      generally, dependency updates between GeoTools and GeoServer
      -

      Making test cases work
      -

      Fixing
      -

   We need to coordinate a hand over of work from one team to the next
   -

      commit everything to shared branch
      -

      Hangout with the next person taking over
      -

      Use a spreadsheet to communicate status, progress
      -

      Use gitter to communicate early and often, stuck for 15 mins ask for
      help!

Actions for this week:

   -

   Torben is going to update the GSIP with links to discussion
   -

   Jody is done the GeoTools proposal
   -

   Torben install jdk 11 on build.geoserver.org
   -

   Jody: add a “preflight” checklist for people attending
   -

      JDK 11
      -

      Need to check out all the branches on each project and build locally
      -

      Read the proposals:
      -

         Java_2018_Code_Sprint
         <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Java_2018_Code_Sprint>
         -

         GSIP-171 <https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/GSIP-171>
         -

         Restructure GeoTools into Jigsaw modules

<https://github.com/geotools/geotools/wiki/Restructure-GeoTools-into-Jigsaw-modules>
         -

      Required reading:
      -

         Meeting notes / Documents / Order of operations above (Action:
         Capture this as a standalone document)
         -

         State of the Module System
         <http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jigsaw/spec/sotms/>
         -

      Recommended:
      -

         Core Java SE 9 for the Impatient
         <https://www.amazon.com/Core-Java-SE-Impatient-2nd/dp/0134694724>
         (Chapter 15. The Java Platform Module System)
         -

         The State of the Module System
         <http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jigsaw/spec/sotms>
         -

         Understanding Java 9 modules

<https://www.oracle.com/corporate/features/understanding-java-9-modules.html>
         -

         jpms automatic modules
         <http://blog.joda.org/2017/05/java-se-9-jpms-automatic-modules.html>
         -

         jpms module naming
         <http://blog.joda.org/2017/04/java-se-9-jpms-module-naming.html>
         -

      Background:
      -

         It's time! Migrating to Java 11

<https://medium.com/criciumadev/its-time-migrating-to-java-11-5eb3868354f9>
         -

         What Comes After JDK 8
         <https://www.azul.com/what-comes-after-jdk-8/>
         -

         Add an Automatic-Module-Name manifest entry
         <https://github.com/google/guava/pull/2846>

GeoServer Doc & GeoWebCache site hosting

The server “wedge” running this stuff is decommissioned:

   -

   docs.geoserver.org
   -

      this is too big for githubpages? (Limit is 1G, docs currently ~7G due
      to point versions from releases)
      -

         We could only publish stable, maintenance, master
         -

         Alternative publish to S3
         -

   http://geowebcache.org
   -

      github pages
      -

   need to update build box

   -

   Jody prefers github pages so that everyone can edit, maintain
   -

      https://jekyllrb.com/tutorials/convert-site-to-jekyll/
      -

      https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15347808/display-javadocs-on-github
      -

   docs.geoserver.org has already been migrated to S3? DNS not changed over
   yet.
   -

      swagger docs don't like being hosted statically, need to investigate
      and see if there is a workaround.
      -

      https://sourcey.com/spectacle/

Action: