GeoTools / GeoServer PMC meeting - 2019-11-12

Attending

Andrea Aime

Jukka Rahkonen

Jody Garnett

Gabriel Roldan

Kevin Smith

Torben Barsballe

Actions from last meeting

Torben: Move Java 11 builds to master node on Jenkins (done)

Agenda

Release Planning

CITE Tests Request for Proposal

GeoServer 2020 Budget

GeoTools 2020 Budget

WMTS community restconfig module

Committers cleanup, GeoTools version

STAC/filter sprint

Actions

Jody: announce CITE automation RFP

Andrea: propose committer cleanup on the GeoTools list

Release Planning

November: 2.16.1 - Jody is on Deck (release for next week)

December: 2.15.4 - Gabriel / Jody

https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/Release-Schedule

CITE Tests Request for Proposal

It looks like we have enough funding (with some help from GeoTools PMC) in the
range of 10k.

Actions:

Update fundraising graphic and thank sponsors

Jody to open RFP (email to developer list, news item inviting responses and
thanking sponsors)

Deadline for proposals is the end of the month

We may make a milestone for end of year, to make use of OSGeo 2019 budget

OSGeo CITE certification renews end of January (incase anything passes)

Aside:

Remember if you have sponsored this email treasu...@osgeo.org to be listed on
the osgeo sponsors page. See how to become a sponsor.

GeoServer 2020 Budget / Planning

GeoServer activities/risks for 2020:

Make use of SAC hardware for maven repo (rather than webdav)

OSGeo CITE Certification Sprint / Submission

Continue with ogc-api RnD

ogc-api features 1.0 final is available already (core)

continued RnD: filter, query, transaction, …

Java 17 LTS comes out September 2021 … so not of interest!

Developers Guide update :)

GeoTools 2020 Budget / Planning

GeoTools activities/risks for 2020:

ImageN jody has approval for a 0.8 release

build check for public javadocs (ideas, discussion) (idea: @Override methods
should use @inheritDoc and @implNote if needed)

Continue Ian’s work on Documentation QA

Ian would like to start replacing EMF→ Beans, XSD → Beans/Xerces? GTXML with
JAXB

WMTS community restconfig module

See email from last week.

Discussion community module vs adding to core

seems to be an oversight

Gabriel is going to work on a PR to core + docs + swaggers api.

Experimenting with converting to OpenAPI 3.0

YAML → JSON

Generate reliable Java client

Aside:

We mostly did this by hand to port RST documentation and were learning as we
went

In OGC-API community module we also need to serve OpenAPI document

How to confirm client can be generated?

Gabriel uses OpenAPI Maven plugin, but is working from static document

ogc-api makes a dynamic document so maven plugin won’t work...

Committers cleanup, GeoTools version

Propose the same workflow as for GeoServer cleanup

active committers in the last year

devel, user, build email lists

Andrea: Makes the motion to cleanup committer list

Andrea Aime + 1 initial motion

Ian Turton

Jody Garnett +1

Nuno Oliveira

Simone Giannecchini

Torben Barsballe +1

Jukka Rahkonen +1

STAC/filter sprint

Andrea attended

STAC (can actually be vectors as well as raster)

also a features api

Aligning with ogc-api features api, features-api extensions, …

Filtering extension

Based on ECQL

Text encoding, nobody wants to write a parser

JSON encoding, similar to OGC filter structure

JSON encoding array based, similar to MapBox style

Expect this will be very successful for interoperability of data

And the production of single purpose clients

Will be murder for general purpose clients

Discussion

Any outstanding proposals, or pull requests to catch up on:

Lots of proposals coming in ...

Jody to recheck the file resource PR, Gabriel has added javadocs and it is
ready, …

Gabriel discussion how to manage a batch of performance issues

Use of Jira epic, Gab is going to try this :)

Wiki technical debt