FYI:

I've had users which because of the simplicity to create them (when you use
Fortran als programming language...), used them to create time series for
(dispersion) models.
So that could be an argument?

I've had a  lot of fun setting these up for Geoserver...
(so I would not vote for complete code removal, unless I was the only user for
ascii grids :-))

(now moving to netcdf...)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde