On 16/09/2010 18:22, Mats Norén wrote:
> Hi, David
> Ah, that is interesting...didn't know that labels always come out on top.
> This app is used for serverside printing so I guess my only option is to
> issue two requests and make a composite on the server.
> Or maybe make a font of my shields and use the textsymbolizer and a label?

If you need to trick GeoServer into doing conflict resolution between
points and labels you can actually make your shields into labels.
GeoServer supports a Graphic element inside the TextSymbolizer,
you just need to add label made of one space in it using a CDATA section
(otherwise the parser will eat away the spaces) and you'll be
able to get your graphics in the same game as the labels.

That option is not documented but you can find some hints in my
FOSS4G presentation about it, look at one of the last slides:

http://atlas.openplans.org/~aaime/GeoServerCartographic.pdf

Andrea Aime
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org