Hi Just,

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Just van den Broecke
<j...@justobjects.nl>wrote:

> Hi Daniele,
>
> Please read below.
>
> On 19-01-11 11:55, Daniele Romagnoli wrote:
> > Hi,
> > please read below...
> >

> > On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Just van den Broecke
> > <j...@justobjects.nl <mailto:j...@justobjects.nl>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi,
> >
> >     I upgraded 2.1-beta3 to 2.1-rc1 and all (PostGIS, Shapefile layers
> etc)
> >     looked bright except for an issue with the Image mosaicking plugin:
> any
> >     WMS request to one mosaicking layer just hangs forever without any
> error
> >     in the log nor a CPU spin.  Moving back to 2.1-beta3 it works again.
> >

> > can you share the workspace for that coverage?
> > You can find it within your
> > $GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR/workspaces/$WORKSPACE/$COVERAGE
> > where $WORKSPACE is the workspace you have used to configure the
> > coverage, as an instance, "cite", "it.geosolutions", ...
> >   and $COVERAGE is the name you used for your coverage.
> > In that dir you should find a coveragestore.xml as well as a folder with
> > the name of your layer containing a coverage.xml as well as a layer.xml.
> > Can you zip it and send it to me?
> Ok, done

Thank you. I'm checking it right now.

> >     This happens on the following environment:
> >     Ubuntu 9.10 32b, 12 GB RAM, Sun JDK 1.6_22, native JAI+ImageIO,
> Tomcat
> >     6.0.29, no Gdal bindings. Tomcat JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xmx2048M
> -Xms256M
> >     -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=36000 -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
> >     -XX:+UseParallelGC". The original GS 2.1-beta3 was patched with a
> >     gt-shapefile-2.7-SNAPSHOT.jar provided by Andrea on 22/12/2010 to fix
> >     http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-4268 (should be in 2.1-rc1).
> >     GS 2.1-rc1 was dated 2011-01-15 01:22
> >
> >     The source data is a directory with about 380 GeoTIFF files each
> about
> >     14MB, referenced for EPSG:28992 and overviews added:
> >     gdaladdo -r average <tifffile>  2 4 8 16 32 64 128.
> >     None of the generated index shapefiles was changed and are readable.
> >
> > What happens if you try to configure a new coveragestore using 2.1-RC1
> > with the same datasets (I suggest to do a backup or work to a different
> > mosaic)?
> Initially this seemed to work (e.g. in the layer preview) but the all
> kinds of problems appeared:
> - not always the entire coverage was shown, sometimes it was mostly
> black. Usually after zooming in and then zooming out.
> - errors in the log: "Too many open files" for any file and for connections

This usually happens when there are no more file descriptors available which
usually occurs when the max number of open files has been reached.
Once there are no more file descriptors available, any kind of error may
happen (as reported by your stack trace and crashes).
A first thing you can try, is reconfiguring the imageMosaic coverages by
setting the USE_JAI_IMAGEREAD = false. Basically, by doing this, you are
forcing the imageMosaic to deal with standard ImageReader.read operations
(Immediate loading), followed by ImageReader.close operations.
When using instead JAI ImageRead operations, the imageMosaic leverages on
the deferred execution model, which load data only when it is really needed
(by scheduling and caching tiles). This approach don't explicity close the
readers. So, if you have several mosaic composed of hundreds/thousands of
tiff files, I would try configuring them to leverage on USE_JAI_IMAGEREAD =
false. Do to this, you can edit coverage.xml (the ones you sent to me) for
your coverages before starting GeoServer or you can edit this property
through the GUI.

Please, let me know if this suggestion partially solves your issues. Then, I
will investigate again based on your feedbacks.

Regards,
Daniele

> [...]

> org.geoserver.web.data.store.shape.ShapefileDirectoryEditPanel.<init>(Ljava/lang/String;Lorg/apache/wicket/markup/html/form/Form;)V+3
> v  ~StubRoutines::call_stub
>

> >     Other mosaicking layers prepared in the same way do work.
> >
> > Just to make sure I have understood:
> > Do you have other previously (2.1-beta3) configured mosaics which still
> > work on 2.1-RC1 whilst the one composed of 380 GeoTIFF EPSG:28992 is the
> > only one which doesn't work?
> Yes, but it those mosaics were configured in a much earlier GS version
> (think 2.0.2). But these appear to be quite stable in any version.
>
> best,
>
> Just van den broecke
> www.justobjects.nl
>

> > Please, let me know.
> > Regards,
> > Daniele
> >

> >     best,
> >
> >     Just van den Broecke
> >     www.justobjects.nl <http://www.justobjects.nl>
> >
> >     On 18-01-11 17:07, Justin Deoliveira wrote:
> >      > The GeoServer team is happy to announce the first release
> >     candidate of
> >      > 2.1. Now available for download:
> >      >
> >      > http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/GeoServer+2.1-RC1
> >      >
> >      > Check out the blog for what's new in this release:
> >      >
> >      > http://blog.geoserver.org/2011/01/18/geoserver-21rc1-released/
> >      >
> >      > The entire change log is also available courtesy of JIRA:
> >      >
> >      >

> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10311&version=16982
> >     <
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10311&version=16982
> >
> >      >
> >     <
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10311&version=16982
> >     <
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10311&version=16982
> >>
> >      >
> >      > Download the release and help us get to the final 2.1 release by
> >     trying
> >      > it out and reporting any issues in the bug tracker or on the
> >     mailing list.
> >      >
> >      > Thanks for using GeoServer!
> >      >
> >      > --
> >      > The GeoServer Team
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >

> >      > Protect Your Site and Customers from Malware Attacks
> >      > Learn about various malware tactics and how to avoid them.
> Understand
> >      > malware threats, the impact they can have on your business, and
> >     how you
> >      > can protect your company and customers by using code signing.

Ing. Daniele Romagnoli
Software Engineer