KML+Collada is the way of Google, X3D is the successor of VRML.
>From the features point of view I guess requesting models over WFS would be
>best but I don't think you could pass Collada that way.

I for one thinks that an integration with worldwind + geoserver + 3d would be
great.

Have you looked at Glob3, http://glob3.sourceforge.net/features.html as I
understand they started out with world wind and extended it with a lot of GIS
features. One of the coolest being the ability to view a 3d point cloud of
several millions points which are generalized in real time to get performance.
The closer you get the more accurate the visualization is.

/Lukas Johansson