Ben and Andrea,
I finally got it to work today. I ended up adding the JRE home, bin, and
lib\ext locations to my PATH statement, probably overkill but it was late
enough I just wanted to put all the key directories in the PATH.  What really
seemed to be the key, though, was entering the locations of the three native
JAI JAR files to the 'Java Classpath' line (Java tab) in the Tomcat properties
manager.

Ben, I am using Windows Server 2003 (32 bit) and Tomcat 6.0.35 so I am not sure
if it is directly applicable to your setup, but wanted to pass on what worked
for me. Thank you for offering to help!

Andrea, thank you for the troubleshooting help. Once I get my development
server back I will redo the process to see the minimal steps required to get
GeoServer on Windows 2003 to recognize the native JAI and will pass that on if
you are interested. One might only have to update the classpath in the Tomcat
properties manager, and nothing else, but I do not know as I did not go back
and try that. Since the setup I need right now works, I am going to leave it
alone.

- Michael