Actually the Heatmap process *does* allow specifying an attribute of the
input geometries to be used as a weighting attribute (parameter
"weightAttr" - see
http://suite.opengeo.org/opengeo-docs/cartography/rt/heatmap.html).  So
maybe you have what you need already!

This still doesn't address the original problem, because:

- the output range of the Heatmap is in [0,1], rather than the units of the
input attribute (and there's no obvious way of correlating the two, AFAIK)
- since Heatmap is a density surface, the maximum value at any single point
is less than the original input value at that point.  Barnes surface also
does a certain amount of averaging, but the effect is much less.

There's a good explanation by whuber of the difference between heatmaps and
interpolation surfaces in one of the comments of the gis.stackexchange
post.  Incidentally, after reading whuber's complaint about the misuse of
the term "Heatmap" I sort of wish I'd called the process KernelDensity
instead...

Martin Davis
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org