Actually I think I found my answer.  In the parseDateTime method in the
KMLMapTransformer class, I believe the date is being parsed using the
geotools  DateUtil.deserializeDateTime() method

In the GeoTools API it mentions:

Date values are expected to match W3C XML Schema standard format as
CCYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss, with optional leading minus sign and trailing seconds
decimal, as necessary

Thank You

Dominique

From: Bessette-Halsema, Dominique E
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 5:02 PM
To: geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: TimeSpan KML

Hi

I'm having problems importing my KML from geoserver 2.2 into a map and found
it is because the map doesn't like fractional seconds.  (ie.
Yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss.fffz)  I was looking at the geoserver spec and in the
geoserver code, mainly the KMLMapTranformer.java class and the datetime
formats don't include fractional seconds.  I'll continue to debug this but
in the meantime I was hoping someone could give me a quick answer as to why
the resulting KML includes the fractional seconds, and if anyone could
foresee any issues that could arise with removing them in our geoserver
instance.

Example KML snippet:

<TimeSpan>

            <begin>2013-02-06T12:00:00.000Z</begin>