Founder/Director

fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39  333 8128928

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 7:41 PM, David McKinney <geomat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ciao Simone,
>
> Thank you for responding.
> I'm on a Linux server. I am not running the GeoServer Suite. Rather, I am
> only using the GeoServer and GeoWebCache.
>
> I finally got the JAI installed correctly, I think. It took several attempts
> to download a .bin file from the documentation link that was not corrupted.
> I was able to install the following: jai-1_1_3-lib-linux-amd64-jre.bin

An alternative way of installing them is to get the tar.gz and place
the SO it contains under something like
/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.6.0_45/jre/lib/amd64 or /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.6.0_45/jre/lib/i386

> After restarting Apache Tomcat6, I see TRUE for Native JAI.
> However, Native JAI ImageIO is still FALSE.

That's because you only installed Native JAI. Native ImageIO is a
separate set of SO to be installed similarly but separately.

> I need to do a little more testing and reading to see if Native JAI ImageIO
> = TRUE is required for my needs. Perhaps you can offer some insight?

It speeds up PNG serving. For JPEG I do recommend using the Libjpeg
turbo extension instead,
http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/community/libjpeg-turbo/index.html

> I am now attempting to upload hundreds of Geotiffs as a bulk upload. This is
> the primary goal of my endeavor.
> To date, I have only been able to figure out how to upload one geotiff at a
> time.
> I need to be able to load the geotiffs to the GeoServer and have the WMS
> create the necessary 512x512 tiles at different resolutions.
>
> Do you know do I get hundreds of files uploaded as a coverage, such that
> they can be tiled and served?

If these files are part of a mosaic (e.g. orthos) you can put them
inside the directory and then use the imagemosaic to create a mosaic
by pointing to the parent directory. I would give a shot at these
slides (the new version will be online soon):
http://goo.gl/TXJRS

Just to add a bit to my thoughts, if you want to serve a mosaic off
100+ files at all scales this might be problematic since
you might end up opening too many files at once to answer a request at
large scales. Anyway, if you'll get to this point
I'll help you again, I believe first thing is to get some confidence
in using GeoServer.