HI Mauro,

Thank you for that explanation, that was very helpful!

Kind Regards
Niels

On 12-02-15 19:20, Mauro Bartolomeoli wrote:
Hi Niels,

    Trying to wrap my head around the LDAP security configuration and
    I'm looking for someone who knows about this.
    I've read:
    http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/security/tutorials/ldap/index.html

    But I noticed that the following settings can be configured both
    in the authentication provider and the role service:
    1) group base and filter
    2) names of the ADMIN and GROUPADMIN roles;

    What is the difference between those different but similar looking
    settings?

They have the same meaning, but since the services are of different type, they are available in both services.

What additional behaviour does the role service provide?

The role service allows you to get the roles list from LDAP so that you can bind permissions (service or layer) to a role coming from LDAP.

    I thought the role service was to map the roles to ldap groups,
    but the tutorial says that the settings in the auth.prov. do that
    as well.

Yes, in case of LDAP you can do roles mapping directly from the authentication provider, so the role service is not needed for that if you use the auth provider configuration.

    And what do you get from specifying admin and groupadmin in the
    role service on top of doing it in the auth.prov?

I think that in case you configured role mapping from the auth provider, that one wins, so it is probably not mandatory to have it also in the role service. Take into account that, in general, the authentication provider and the role service are independent. In theory you can use an LDAP roleservice also with a not LDAP auth provider (I don't have a real use case at the moment, but in theory this is possible).

At the end if you use both in a standard way, the LDAP role service is needed to list (and use) the roles from LDAP in the authorization section.

Regards,
Mauro
http://goo.gl/NWWaa2 for more information.
==

Dott. Mauro Bartolomeoli
@mauro_bart
Senior Software Engineer

fax:     +39 0584 1660272

*AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003*

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.