Hi eting,

I have a short experience with ImageMosaic datastores. I think you might
be interested.

We have an installation with approximately 14000 GeoTiffs (and growing)
organized into several Image Mosaic layers. The starting time is just a
minute or two and geoserver is able to serve them smoothly (no
noticeable difference to individual GeoTiff layers). We serve
multidimensional meteorological datasets (forecasts with time, forecast
hour and sometimes ensemble dimensions) so it makes a lot of sense to
use Image Mosaic datastores. For example we are able to iterate over all
forecasts for a given runtime of a meteorological model.

Cheers,

Peter

--

Peter Kovac
IMS Programmer

On 27. 10. 2015 16:57, eting123 wrote:
> Good question and I have been thinking about the same thing, whether we
> should have done this differently by combining the layers.
>
> I'm wondering how scalable is an image mosaic? If we currently have 30,000
> layers, should we put all of them into a single Image Mosaic? At which point
> should we consider separating things into a separate mosaic?
>
> Thank you very much for your help
> eting

Peter Kovac
IMS Programmer