Hi Alex,

from what I have learned how people usually work with REST API is that
they do what they want on a small scale using the web GUI and then do a
GET request using the XML format. The XML returned usually is in the
exact format a PUT request needs.

So, make one small layer group, GET it via REST and use that as a
template for your PUT requests.

On 13. 1. 2016 16:58, Alex O'Ree wrote:
> So I've just imported a large number of geotiff files that are grouped
> logically on the file system by resolution (1:2M, 1:1M, 1:250K, etc)
>
> Since the volume is high, I want to use the REST api to create a layer
> group, One for each resolution set.
>
> I've found this
> http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/rest/examples/curl.html#creating-a-layer-group
>
> but it doesn't provide the complete syntax for referencing a raster
> layer set, workspace, coordinate reference system, output formats,
> gridsets etc.
>
> Are there additional examples, documentation or a scheme file for
> defining what the request needs to look like for creating a layer
> group?

Peter Kovac
IMS Programmer
MicroStep-MIS