hi Andrea,

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 20:14:39 +0100, Andrea Aime wrote:

> Hi,
> on behalf of the PSC I'm here to ask the users about their interest
> on a 2.7.7 release
> next month (April).
>
> As you may know, the 2.7.x was supposed to end with 2.7.6, but due to
> some issues
> with our java 8 compatibility we are delaying the 2.9.0 release a
> couple of months,
> and thus we have space for one more community supported release past
> 2.7.6.
>
> So, would you be interested in getting one more bug fix release in the
> 2.7.x series?
> Let us know

i'm currently using 2.2.5 and was planing on upgrading to 2.9 --which i
expected to be released around this time.  this page
(http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/developer/policies/community-process.html#release-cycle)
implies February, but this one
(https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/Release-Schedule) May.
my choice of upgrading to 2.9 is motivated by the move to JDK 8 support
(both my app and GeoServer's).

so not being a user of a 2.7.x i don't have an opinion on such a
release.  however having to upgrade soon to a newer version from 2.2.5 i
would appreciate it if you can list the major differences, besides the
obvious support for JDK 8, between (a) the planned maintenance 2.7.7,
(b) the upcoming stable 2.8.3 (this month?), and (c) the delayed 2.9.0
(june?).

> PS: the end of the community support for a series does not
> automatically imply the
> death of it, if someone shows up that wants to sponsor bugfix
> backports (which get
> increasingly difficult/time consuming as one code base gets old and
> out of synch
> with the latest developments) and release time so that we can do both
> during working hours,
> we can keep up a given series alive for as much as you desire.

TIA + cheers;
rsn