Hi Ivan,

what you want to do is what ImageMosaic calls "reindexing granules".

You can reindex the whole layer, but it is time consuming and inefficient, because GeoServer will reexamine each granule (individual GeoTIFF raster) and delete it from the index or add it to the index. It might take a couple of minutes and performance for ordinary WMS requests drops badly during that period.

curl -v -u username:password -XPOST -H "Content-type: text/plain" \
 -d "file:/path/to/dir/with/geotiff/files/" \
"http://localhost:8080/geoserver/rest/workspaces/<MY-WORKSPACE>/coveragestores/<my-store>/external.imagemosaic <http://localhost:8080/geoserver/rest/workspaces/POVAPSYS/coveragestores/aladin_test3temperature/external.imagemosaic>"

Much better approach (at least in my scenario) is to index each granule
individually just when the file is ready and is copied to the ImageMosaic
directory.
curl -v -u username:password -XPOST -H "Content-type: text/plain" \
        -d "file:/path/to/dir/with/geotiff/files/your_file.tiff" \

"http://localhost:8080/geoserver/rest/workspaces/<MY-WORKSPACE>/coveragestores/<my-store>/external.imagemosaic"

Use another REST call to delete old granules. You can use filter to e.g. delete
all granules older than 1st January 2016 (assuming you use the time dimension).
curl -u "user:pass" -XDELETE "http://localhost:8080/geoserver/rest/workspaces/<MY-WORKSPACE>/coveragestores/<my-store>/coverages/<my-layer>/index/granules.xml?filter=time%20BEFORE%202016-01-01T00:00:00Z <http://localhost:8080/geoserver/rest/workspaces/RADMON/coveragestores/radmon_short_range/coverages/short_range/index/granules.xml?filter=time%20BEFORE%202016-01-01T00:00:00Z>"

Useful resources are online tutorial by GeoSolutions ( http://geoserver.geo-solutions.it/multidim/en/index.html ) and REST API docs ( http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/rest/api/coverages.html#structured-coverages ).

Peter