Hi Don,

have you tried the "extended" attribute of the <ColorMap> element?

        extended

The extended attribute specifies whether the color map gradient uses 256 (8-bit) or 65536 (16-bit) colors. The value false (the default) specifies that the color scale is calculated using 8-bit color, and true specifies using 16-bit color.

http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/styling/sld-reference/rastersymbolizer.html

Cheers