Hi Paul

That sounds interesting, I will have a look at the module you mentioned.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Wittle [mailto:p.wit...@dorsetcc.gov.uk]
Sent: 01 August 2016 09:39
To: geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Geoserver-users] Geosever security - WFS / WMS services and
Openlayers

Hi Chris,

I work for Dorset county council and we are currently using the AUTHKEY plugin
which is available under the community plugins. This is great from an
OpenLayers point of view. With regard to the QGIS users, I setup a separate
role specifically assigned to the username and password which we are using in
QGIS.

Remember, as far as I'm aware, QGIS still stores the password in plain text in
the project files so at present I felt it best to just have one account for all
our QGIS users but I'm aware the role idea is perhaps not so great if you have
hundreds of users.

Andrea, in terms of the monitoring plugin, can it log the user being used for
each request?

I only wondered as the user session is maintained in the background and I'm not
sure it is currently included in the outputs.

I still have not had time to fully review the monitoring plugin but I have been
using the audit log functionality and I have decided that the files it creates
are what I'm after. These can be customised using the FreeMarker templates and
I can then write something my end to summarise the data.

This raises three questions:
        1)      Can you add the logged in user to the audit role?
        2)      Could you just have the audit role? (i.e. no other monitoring
plugin options just audit role files)
        3)      If you can do point 1, would this help Chris solve his issues
if he was using a specific user account for QGIS?

Cheers,
Paul

Message: 2