From: andrea.a...@gmail.com <andrea.a...@gmail.com> on behalf of Andrea Aime
<andrea.a...@geo-solutions.it>
Sent: Wednesday, 12 October 2016 3:44 PM
To: Angreani, Rini (Mineral Resources, Kensington WA); Simone Giannecchini;
Kevin Smith
Cc: GeoServer Mailing List List; Warren, Peter (Mineral Resources, North Ryde)
Subject: Re: [Geoserver-users] Native JAI

Hi Rini,
that log is actually from GeoWebCache, so a proper performance comparison
should be done
by hitting a non yet populated tile cache and force GWC to popupate it... like
a seeding operation
for example.

That said, the JAI "crop" operation is actually doing nothing, it's just making
the image look smaller
to the callers by changing its origin, width and height (thus metadata),
so I don't see how a native extension can make any difference. From the javadoc
of CropOpImage:

 * <p> Tiles that are completely inside or intersect the cropped region
 * (this image's bounds) are simply forwarded from the source.  Do NOT
 * create a child raster even if a tile is not contained in this image's
 * bounds.  Tiles that are outside the croppped region result in a
 * <code>null</code> return.

My guess is that the comment actually relates to an issue in the Java JPEG
encoder that fails
to encode properly shifted images (ones with origin not 0,0). However this
should have been
fixed in the meantime.
Simone, do you remember any better?

To see if the code still has any merit, one should try to remove the
BufferedImage extraction code here
and see if that actually makes any difference:
https://github.com/GeoWebCache/geowebcache/blob/master/geowebcache/core/src/main/java/org/geowebcache/layer/MetaTile.java#L319

It is also to be noted that GeoServer is using its own metatile subclass, with
entirely different code, it would be nice to just push back
the override, but I'm not 100% sure it's possible (due to dependencies that
might be available in GeoServer, but not in GeoWebCache):
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/blob/master/src/gwc/src/main/java/org/geoserver/gwc/layer/GeoServerMetaTile.java#L162

But yeah, in the context of GeoServer that warning is just noise, since the
code depending on that variable is not even executed.

Cheers
Andrea

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 8:07 AM,