Ian, going by memory and answering from my tablet... didn't someone
contribute a patch to make
dates timezone independent? With a system variable to set that?

Cheers
Andrea

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 8:22 PM, Ian Turton <ijtur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That sounds like a regression to me, when I'm back at my desk, I'll dig
> out the previous tests and check how that slipped in.
>
> Can you raise a bug in the meantime so I don't forget.
>
> Ian
>
> On 13 Oct 2016 16:28, "Walter Stovall" <walter.stov...@byers.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately following that path does not work
>> for me.  I still end up with dates that are one-behind.
>>

>> This was discovered with a more complicated arrangement, but I have this
>> problem in my simple test environment where my geoserver is deployed to a
>> local tomcat 8 on my Windows workstation.  This is a computer setup for
>> Eastern Standard Daylight time (which is an offset of -05:00).
>>

>> I browse to my http://localhost:8080/geoserver/web webapp and run the
>> Demo page where I paste in the WFS-T Insert request I showed earlier that
>> inserts a date of 01/04/2016.  Then I see a new row has showed up in my
>> back-end Oracle table where geoserver is storing these features with the
>> OracleNGDataStore.  Selecting the date from that row, I get 01/03/2016.  If
>> I drill down by asking Oracle to show the time too I’ll get 03-jan-2016
>> 19:00:00.  So obviously “somebody” is applying the -05:00 offset by the
>> time the data is given to the Oracle driver. fwiw the Oracle dbtimezone is
>> -04:00 but that hardly matters because Oracle expects to be given the data
>> in the “correct” timezone and just stores what you give it.
>>

>> I’ve already discovered by watching the geoserver log that Oracle is
>> receiving the wrong value.
>>

>> To find out more I build an eclipse workspace that includes geoserver and
>> geotools and attach to the running tomcat.
>>
>> So first I break in the debugger at SimpleFeatureImpl which is getting
>> hit by the SAX parsing invoked by WfsXmlReader.  The *values* object
>> array there has a date of “2016-01-03” (which is the toString output of
>> Gregorian$Date with a fastTime of 1451865600000). This is ultimately going
>> to become Jan 3 19:00 stored in Oracle.  So I know things are bad already.
>>

>> Backtracking to see where things went wrong I back all the way up to
>> where the Jan 4 date is getting parsed out of the XML for my WFS-T insert
>> request.  I stop at XsDateTimeFormat.parseObject(String, ParsePosition,
>> boolean) and in there I see where there’s an assumption that the timezone
>> will ALWAYS be GMT…
>>

>>         *if* (parseTime) {
>>
>>             tz = TimeZone.*getTimeZone*(digits.toString());
>>
>>         } *else* {
>>
>>             // there's no meaning for timezone if not parsing time
>>
>>             // http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601
>>
>>             tz = TimeZone.*getTimeZone*("GMT");
>>
>>         }
>>
>>         Calendar cal = Calendar.*getInstance*(tz);
>>

>> So regardless of environment variables etc. I know that at this stage my
>> incoming date is always represented as Jan 4 2016 GMT.  It would appear
>> that later this gets represented as EDT (my timezone) and becomes Jan 3
>> 19:00.

> [...]

==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

*AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003*

nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
(Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.