Serb,

What version of GeoServer did you install? The version mentioned on the
blog is very old. Recent GeoServer has been upgraded to be compatible
with the Jetty 9 we include in our bin.zip download, but the Jetty 8 you
are using should work as the big Jetty changes happened in I think Jetty 7.

Do you see any errors in the jetty logs?

Your geoserver data directory is inside your home directory. Great care
must be taken to grant the geoserver user access to this directory, and
this can cause other permissions problems. I strongly recommend placing
the GeoServer data directory in a system directory and setting the
permissions as described in the blog post.

Kind regards,
Ben.

On 23/11/16 01:47, Serb Ocal wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My name is Serb Ocal. I am Senior Software Developer.
>
> I am trying to install geoserver on ubuntu
> <https://funnymonkey.com/2011/installing-geoserver-on-ubuntu-1004> 16.04 .
>
> I have followed the documentation on
>
> https://funnymonkey.com/2011/installing-geoserver-on-ubuntu-1004
>
> When I run the command, I can see my Geoserver is started;
> serb@serb-MacBookPro:~/geoserver/etc$ sudo init.d/geoserver start
>  * Starting GeoServer daemon geoserver
>
> [image: Inline images 1]
>

> The problem is testing the geoserver; I can not see it. Jetty is working
> on 8080;
>>From /home/serb/geoserver/etc/jetty.xml ;I change the port to 80 as well.
> Still, I can not see geoserver running and don't know how to test on my
> browser .
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Serb Ocal