Hi Craig,
there is a community module (thus, unsupported) managing the process status
in a database:

https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/tree/master/src/community/wps-jdbc

Does not have documentation, but should not be too hard to figure out, as
far as I remember
it is based on a property file configuration.

Besides that, GetStatus could also be modified to check the resources for a
possible result,
you should probably also check that the existing code ensures no partial
results are written in
case of failure (a process can fail while writing out the output), and how
the resource cleaner
interacts with the status store (e.g., does it wipe out resources whose
status cannot be found?).

Cheers
Andrea

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 5:24 AM, Craig Jones <craig.jo...@utas.edu.au>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are using WPS in Geoserver 2.8.4 and have noticed that we cannot
> retrieve the status of an asynchronous WPS request which has completed
> after restarting GeoServer.  The final response/outputs  are still
> available in the resource storage directory as the expiry time has not
> elapsed but cannot be accessed using the GetStatus request (we get an
> UnknownExecutionIdException when trying to stored response).
>
> Looking at the code it looks like the the process status is maintained
> in memory and hence is cleared on a restart and the code does not check
> the resource storage directory to see whether a stored response is
> actually available
> (https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/blob/master/src/
> extension/wps/wps-core/src/main/java/org/geoserver/wps/GetStatus.java#L40
> ).
>
> This isn't desirable behaviour for us.   If a user has submitted a WPS
> request and it completes successfully we would like them to be able to
> retrieve the completion status of the request up to the configured
> expiry time regardless of whether we had to restart GeoServer in the
> interim.
>
> Looks to me like the existing code could be modified to check for a
> stored response before throwing the UnknownExecutionIdException which
> would resolve this problem for us for the default in-memory process
> status store and the hazelcast process status store if we decide to use
> that.  Another option looks to be use a new persistent process status
> store.
>
> Any comments on the above or other suggestions on how we could obtain
> our desired behaviour?
>

> Thanks,
> Craig Jones
> Integrated Marine Observing System
> University of Tasmania
>

> University of Tasmania Electronic Communications Policy (December, 2014).
> This email is confidential, and is for the intended recipient only.
> Access, disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance on any of it by
> anyone outside the intended recipient organisation is prohibited and may be
> a criminal offence. Please delete if obtained in error and email
> confirmation to the sender. The views expressed in this email are not
> necessarily the views of the University of Tasmania, unless clearly
> intended otherwise.

==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

*AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003*

nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
(Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.