Hi,
I've tried to setup locally an artificial test case with lots of layers,
checking if by any chance it's just that
which is making things "bad".
Local setup:

   - GeoServer development series (2.11.x)
   - Postgresql/Postgis
   - One store, one database
   - 10000 layers, each one with its own style

- Startup time: 21:45:20
- All layers, store and styles loaded at 21:45:43
- Startup complete at 21:45:59
----> total startup time, less than 30 seconds

Now, by this I'm inclined to assume the issue is with having not a lot of
layers, but a lot of stores,
and the sanity check that GeoServer does when loading the store (there are
none for the layers per se).
The thing is, there is nothing new about these checks, they have been there
for 10+ years.. it
may be that what we do during this check has become more expensive recently.

But it also points out clearly that a random setup with lots of layers does
not incurs in the slow
startup, and there is a need for more details on how to reproduce.

Please everybody involved, share:

   - Version of GeoServer that starts fast, version that starts slow
   - How many workspaces
   - How many stores per workspace, and which type. Is there any type that
   feels slower than others?
   - If the store has the schema configured, or left blank
   - When configuring a new layer out of the store, how many tables are
   showing up?

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 2:53 AM, <shs...@gaia3d.com> wrote:

> [...]
> under Tomcat with a lot of georeferenced maps ( about 65 000 ) and it takes
> very long time to start - about 3-4 hours.
>
> The problem seems to be in that GeoServer is checking all of those
> resources one by one each time it starts..
>
> My question is: Is there any way to disable these checks? Or do them only
> one a month or so?
>
> Or is there any other solution?
>
> It is quite annoying when server needs to be restarted and people are
> waiting for it..
>

> Thanks in advance
>

> Jaroslav Urik
>

> [1] http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoServer-Slow-to-
> Start-with-Lots-of-Namespaces-td5068101.html

> ==
>
> GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit
>
> http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
>
> ==
>

> Ing. Andrea Aime
>
> @geowolf
>
> Technical Lead
>

> GeoSolutions S.A.S.
> Via di Montramito 3/A
> 55054  Massarosa (LU)
>
> phone: +39 0584 962313 <+39%200584%20962313>
>
> fax: +39 0584 1660272 <+39%200584%20166%200272>
>
> mob: +39  339 8844549 <+39%20339%20884%204549>
>

> http://www.geo-solutions.it
>
> http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it
>

> *AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003*
>
> Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica e/o
> nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
> loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
> per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
> messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
> darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
> stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
> divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
> utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
> principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.
>

> The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for
> the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
> proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
> (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
> Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
> copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
> strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
> addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
> immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
> information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
> does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
> completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
> made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of

@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A