Hi,

I believe you can use the CQL filter parameter if you are using a GET HTTP
request but if you have a complex filter you may need to use a POST request and
the OGC filter as a parameter. I assume you need to switch to POST requests as
there is a limit on the length a URL can be and long CQL can make you hit the
limit if you are querying by polygon.

I've actually just been looking into it again last week as I need the filters
for WFS GetFeature requests; I'm assuming that is the service you are using for
your vector tiles.

In terms of constructing the correct filters you should consult the
documentation at http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/filter/index.html

However I don't know how that works in terms of layergroups where you want an
entire layer to be ignored at a given scale. I don't know if WFS even uses the
concept. I think it just returns the features within the given bbox and without
rendering dimensions I'm not sure a scale dominator would apply. Hopefully
someone else will help you there?

If the request returns a feature ID (FID) then you may be able to filter out
whole layers based on the request size in units i.e. the width and height of
your bbox.

Paul
"This e-mail is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain
information about individuals or other sensitive information and should be
handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to
receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to
anyone else. If you have received this email in error, kindly disregard the
content of the message and notify the sender immediately. Please be aware that
all email may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with
relevant legislation."