Gavin,

both of these problems are likely caused by the lack of a secondary namespace.

I saw the difference in encoding (the xmlns on the non-root element), which is odd. Incremental improvements might have changed the manifestation of the problem (no longer an exception), and implementation differences might explain the difference between the two requests. Time for a documentation update.

Please add a secondary namespace gml for GML 3.2.1 and report back. Any further app-schema misbehaviour is likely a bug.

Kind regards,
Ben.