I always disable gs:Import (since in a production instance I do not want to
let clients add content to my server).

I am looking for a reason your datastore is read-only:

a) it could be security - please check
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/security/layer.html
b) it could be file permissions - if you are publishing a read-only
shapefile the resulting datastore will be read only
c) it could be database permissions - if your postgres users does not have
write access the datastore will be read only

So once again "each datastore has the error" does not answer my question
making it hard to offer advice.

--
Jody Garnett