From: Ben Caradoc-Davies
Sent: Tuesday, 5 December, 20:16
Subject: Re: [Geoserver-users] FAIL - Application at context path [/geoserver]
could not be started - Geoserver v2.12.0 - Java v1.8.151
To: Abdool, Sameer, 'geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net'

Sameer, it is not a bug: it is a "feature" (of Oracle JDK 8u151):
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/8u151-relnotes-3850493.html "New
Features security-libs/javax.crypto New Security property to control crypto
policy This release introduces a new feature whereby the JCE jurisdiction
policy files used by the JDK can be controlled via a new Security property. In
older releases, JCE jurisdiction files had to be downloaded and installed
separately to allow unlimited cryptography to be used by the JDK. The download
and install steps are no longer necessary. To enable unlimited cryptography,
one can use the new crypto.policy Security property. If the new Security
property (crypto.policy) is set in the java.security file, or has been set
dynamically by using the Security.setProperty() call before the JCE framework
has been initialized, that setting will be honored. By default, the property
will be undefined. If the property is undefined and the legacy JCE jurisdiction
files don't exist in the legacy lib/security directory, then the default
cryptographic level will remain at 'limited'. To configure the JDK to use
unlimited cryptography, set the crypto.policy to a value of 'unlimited'. See
the notes in the java.security file shipping with this release for more
information." The evidence that this is your problem can be found in
geoserver.log. This is only a WARN so not immediately fatal (GeoServer
continues when a data store cannot be loaded). There are several of these:
2017-12-04 10:14:57,078 WARN [org.geoserver] - Failed to load data store 'OS
MasterMap' com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.ConversionException: ----
Debugging information ---- cause-exception :
org.jasypt.exceptions.EncryptionOperationNotPossibleException cause-message :
Encryption raised an exception. A possible cause is you are using strong
encryption algorithms and you have not installed the Java Cryptography
Extension (JCE) Unlimit ed Strength Jurisdiction Policy Files in this Java
Virtual Machine class : org.geoserver.catalog.impl.DataStoreInfoImpl
required-type : org.geoserver.catalog.impl.DataStoreInfoImpl converter-type :
org.geoserver.config.util.XStreamPersister$StoreInfoConverter line number : 39
version : 2.12.0 ------------------------------- The ERROR that results in the
failure to initialise the geoserver context is caused by the embedded
GeoWebCache failing to locate a missing layer (presumably caused by a failure
to load a data store supplying the layer): 2017-12-04 10:14:59,733 ERROR
[context.ContextLoader] - Context initialization failed
with name 'gwcFacade' defined in URL
[jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Apache%20Software%20Foundation/Tomcat
%209.0/webapps/geoserver/WEB-INF/lib/gs-gwc-2.12.0.jar!/applicationContext.xml]:
 Cannot resolve reference to bean 'DiskQuotaMonitor' while setting constructor
argument; nested exception is
with name 'DiskQuotaMonitor' defined in URL
[jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Apache%20Software%20Foundation
/Tomcat%209.0/webapps/geoserver/WEB-INF/lib/gs-gwc-2.12.0.jar!/geowebcache-diskquota-context.xml]:
 Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cou ld not locate a layer or layer group with
id LayerGroupInfoImpl--3f96846b:15ebdb05dc8:-7fd2 within GeoServer
configuration, the GWC configuration seems to be out of synch The likely
solution is to follow the instructions in the Oracle JDK 8u151 release notes to
configure the JDK to use unlimited cryptography. Kind regards, Ben. On 06/12/17
03:11, Abdool, Sameer wrote: > -----Original Message----- > From: Abdool,
Sameer > Sent: 05 December 2017 09:34 > To: 'Ben Caradoc-Davies' > Subject: RE:
[Geoserver-users] FAIL - Application at context path [/geoserver] could not be
started - Geoserver v2.12.0 - Java v1.8.151 > > Ben, > > Thank you for getting
back to me. > Please find log files attached. > > Regards, > Sameer > >
-----Original Message----- > From: Ben Caradoc-Davies
[mailto:b...@transient.nz] > Sent: 04 December 2017 19:18 > To: Abdool, Sameer
; 'geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net' > Subject: Re: [Geoserver-users] FAIL
- Application at context path [/geoserver] could not be started - Geoserver
v2.12.0 - Java v1.8.151 > > Sameer, > > as you indicate below, the log files,
especially full stack traces, are essential to investigate this problem. > >
Kind regards, > Ben. > > On 04/12/17 23:49, Abdool, Sameer wrote: >> Good
Morning, >> >> I'm currently using Geoserver v2.12.0 combined with Java
v1.8.141. >> Geoserver is running as a windows service though Apache Tomcat
v9.0.1 >> >> I haven't had any issues so far until Java gets updated to a minor
>> higher that X.X.141 I then get the error message as displayed in the subject
line. >> >> Application updates are managed centrally for obvious reasons. >>
My server is a 2012 R2 VM running off vSphere. >> >> I have had to revert my VM
several times now to get Java back to version 1.8.144 so Geoserver could run.
>> Has anyone experienced issues running Geoserver from the following spec as
described below? >> >> Windows 2012 R2 VM >> Geoserver 2.12.0 >> Apache Tomcat
9.0.1 >> Java 1.8.151 >> >> PS: I will go into more details afterwards (i.e.
log files >> (Tomcat/Geoserver), what I've done to try to troubleshoot the
problem, >> etc...) >> >> Thanks in advance for taking the time to look into
it. >> >> Kind Regards, >> Sameer >> >> >> >> >>
Caradoc-Davies > Director > Transient Software Limited New Zealand > >
________________________ > This email was scanned by our anti-virus solution. >