Hi,
the first question when I see this many layers is... are you sure you
really need them?
They are completely unrelated to each other?
A common case for having this many layers is to have time series of sorts,
that's normally handled with one
time enabled layer.

No matter what you do, the "normal" usage of OGC protocols (as designed,
GetCapabilities, DescribeX, GetX)
will be close to impossible, as GetCapabilities would take too much time to
generate and the result would in
general be too large for clients to handle.

If it's really the case that they are unrelated, and you have custom
clients that are not going through
capabilities documents anyways, you can look into jdbcconfig, but mind, the
module is unsupported
and you might have troubles upgrading later:
http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/community/jdbcconfig/index.html

If you go in production this way, I'd recommend you look in commercial
support for it

Cheers
Andrea

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 9:32 PM, jgzurano <jgzur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, we have a geoserver cluster on amazon ec2 with this specs:
>
> m5.2xlarge instances
> 8 vcpu
> 32gb mem
> ssd storage
> 10 gbit network
>
> geoserver version 2.11.4 with jetty
> JAVA_OPTS=-server -Xms10g -Xmx10g -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:NewRatio=2
>
> data directory:
>
> 455707 layers
> 143625 Stores
> 12810 styles
> 1 workspace
>
> Issue:
>
> We noticed the geoserver performance,response times and startup times were
> getting worse when we increased beyond the 100k elements (layers, styles).
> Beyond this limit we are having an issue that geoserver stops responding to
> any rest request, the web admin interface keeps working. We receive a
> "server busy" in the interface.
> The only solution we found to this issue is to restart geoserver.
>
> Is there any limits to the amount of layers and stores that geoserver can
> handle without compromising the performance and response times?
> We are expecting to grow this geoserver installation to around 2 million
> layers.
> Is there anything we could tune to improve the performance with this amount
> of data?
> We are thinking about partitioning our data into different instances of
> geoserver to improve performance.
>
> Any ideas to improve or change our installation?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoServer-User-
> f3786390.html

> userlist-guidelines.html
>
> If you want to request a feature or an improvement, also see this:
> https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/Successfully-
> requesting-and-integrating-new-features-and-improvements-in-GeoServer
>

> Geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Regards,

Andrea Aime

==
GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V
for more information.
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
(Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.