So, I wanted to thank everyone who helped.  I finally got GeoServer to boot
using the following formula:

1. Do the direct install...the one based upon an <*.exe> file.  Be sure you
are administrator. Do this on top of Windows 10 without TomCat.  I will try
to get the TomCat version working next.
2. Be sure to use Java 8...Java 10 fails.
3. Be sure to offset the TCP port number.  The default: 8080, interferes
with Skype or some such thing. People seem to be using <
http://localhost:1025/geoserver> to initiate their admin session.
4. When you log in as administrator, don't use Firefox the first time.
Explorer works for the first login, after which Firefox seems to start
working.

Thanks again for the help.

Bill