Hi Ian, thanks for your tip.

I was playing with, trying to make GS/GWC work in a read-only environment.
It seems that if GS detects that it doesn't have access to the
GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR it will default back to its original dir,
where it will happily read any data there even if they are read-only.

GWC on the other hand, if am correct, if it detects that
GEOWEBCACHE_CACHE_DIR is read-only it defaults to a memory/temp location.
If you have any information about that I would very grateful.

Nick