Many thanks for your reply. I followed your thread on the devel list as
well.

We are using Vector tiles so we can apply styling on the client
(openlayers) when a feature is selected.
For our scenario, if the output Vector tile just included the Polygons that
would have been rendered into the PNG anyway then that would be fine (I
think).
I had a bit of a look through the geotools StreamingRenderer.java and it
seems to deal with simplifying geometries and rendering shape primitives
using java's Graphics2D, StreamingRenderer interestingly also calls
TopologyPreservingSimplifier (similar to Vector output tiles).

Conceptually, could you capture the draw primitive requests going to
Graphics2D and instead output them in Vector tile format? Wouldn't that
work at the same speed as the Raster output tiles (or even faster as no
styling is applied)? Obviously I'm dreaming here (and it would take me
months to understand StreamingRenderer...)

In the meantime we simplified our geometry to 10% of the original size
which while slow, maintains the health of our server for the initial tile
generation after which they are cached anyway.

Matt.