You may wish to try with function stops for the fill-color.

Boundless Server had some documentation on how much of the mapbox style
expression syntax was implemented, the filter syntax you are describing is
now deprecated in the specticication.

Still I expected that to work, are you in position to write a test case and
patch? I know the codebase enough to review.

I am quite keen on the mbstyle technology and would like to see the
functionality become a formal extension if we can identify enough
interested parties for maintenance and improvements.
--
Jody Garnett