I think it is clearly mentioned in the documentation that NetCDF with 2D
lat/lon are supported by GeoServer:
https://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/extensions/netcdf/netcdf.html#two-dimensional-coordinate-variables

I am looking for a sample NetCDF datafile with 2D coordinates (mentioned in
documentation) to play with in GeoServer. My own datafiles (with 2D
lat/lon) cannot be read by GeoServer.

Best,
Amir