Jody, I modified my program so it looks like this (using a DefaultTransaction ):

private void process() throws Exception
   {
       DefaultTransaction trans = new DefaultTransaction();
FeatureWriter aWriter = ds.getFeatureWriter(table_name,trans); while (aWriter.hasNext())
       {
           Feature f = aWriter.next();  // get a feature
           Geometry g = (Geometry) f.getAttribute(source_column);
Geometry g_gen = generalize(g,tolerance);
           f.setAttribute(dest_colum,g_gen);  // modify it
           aWriter.write();  // write it to DB
       }
       trans.commit();
       aWriter.close();
   }

But its still not doing it in a transaction.

dave