   Kevin Smith

Actions from prior meetings:

   -

   GeoWebCache Doc Build

Agenda

   1.

   Jenkins Builds - Docker, GWC
   2.

   Extension and community modules clean up
   3.

   Issues with weird attribute names
   4.

   Release and announcement planning
   5.

   Map update
   6.

   Foss4G planning
   7.

   OSGeo Budget

Actions

   -

   Torben: Add GWC Doc build on Jenkins
   -

   Jody: Update sphynx python instructions for GeoServer

Jenkins Builds

GWC Build script written and merged (Thanks Jody).

   -

   New python tricks with requirements.txt
   worth updating the geoserver / geotools sphinx build instructions?
   -

   sphinx-autobuild is very hand when writing for live feedback

Jody still positive about MkDocs, there is a matching sphinx theme to help
ease transition

   -

   Will try an experiment and to report back
   -

   The are comparable; but MkDocs

TODO: Corresponding Jenkins build

Jenkins docker build is now working, will be tested with next release

GeoTools Java 11 build failing to publish javadocs:

+ scp -oStrictHostKeyChecking=no javadocs.zip geoto...@docs.geotools.org:
/home/geotools/latest

geoto...@docs.geotools.org: Permission denied (publickey).

Torben is checking it …

   -

   It looks like the SSH Agent (with geotools credentials) wasn’t enabled
   -

   Java 11 change? That may be when docs started failing …
   -

   Now fixed
   <https://build.geoserver.org/view/geotools/job/geotools-main-java11/695/>,
   just needed SSH agent

Extension and community modules clean up

>From email:

extensions → community

   -

   xslt
   -

   imagemap

community → bit bucket in the sky

   -

   WMS-EO
   -

   SAML
   -

   OWS-Simulate
   -

   NSG-WMTS
   -

   WMTS-styles
   -

   ogcapi/image
   -

   ext-teradata
   -

   importer-fgdb? May of been disabled during GDAL upgrade
   -

   DDS? Nope it is used … by World Wind and Cesium.
   -

   printing? Needs some love (jody has a fork of mapfish but it sends daily
   hate mail).

Docks to clean up:

   -

   geostyler? Docs can be removed …

TODO:

   -

   Andrea is testing importer-fgdb? Can compile; cannot find its native
   libraries

Issues with weird attribute names

Strange attribute names?

   -

   This is the geoserver way; we do not validate your names - please choose
   names that work with the protocol you are using :)
   -

   Attributes like `1984` are not valid for XML output; standards like SLD
   like to work XML stuff like XPath which assume it is working with valid xml
   stuff
   -

   Some Property Accessors try and check …

Encountered with:

   -

   WMS Styling - should be fine as we want a picture not XML
   -

   FeatureType customization - cannot fix this stuff as property accessors
   get stuck
   -

   Q: Can property accessor just not check (since it knows it is not doing
   XPath)?
   However if the XPath accessor checks first it assumes

   -

   Use AbstractFactory getPriority()
   -

   Or use a marker interface to let simple things be simple

Release and announcement planning

Was waiting on a couple PRs:

   -

   Anything else outstanding?
   -

   Map update (see below)?

Any outstanding bugs to look at:

   -

   representations of some REST resources changed (based on a dependency
   addition)
   -

   double check that changing internationalization changes *all* (rather
   than some) of the displayed messages
   Q: Are they all translated?

Map update

PR: https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/pull/6527

   -

   Size of data increase; asked on email list (sorry)
   -

   todo: Fix the SLDs (some are invalid)
   -

   swapping language: en / it … others can be done over time

How is INSPIRE language parameter intended to be used for GetCapabilities
and GetMap?

   -

   GetMap:
   -

      Would it be nice if layer preview change this?
      -

      LANGUAGE= ends up being a vendor parameter?
      -

      Could add a drop down the openlayer preview
      -

   GetCapabilities

We would need a bit more knowledge on what translations were available for
a geoserver installing. The INSPIRE module can advertise what languages are
supported.
Foss4G planning

Talk and workshop round up; submit on Feb 19th …

   -

   reached out geomesa folks for an update
   -

   reached out to gabe / camptocamp – no update yet

OSGeo Budget

See: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2023

   -

   Yes to “initiative” for replacing org.opengis use:
   -

      Asked for 20k, 10k approved with 5k funding for downstream projects
      -

      OSGeo is asking Apache / others for enough funding to meet our target
      -

      Meeting to be scheduled with Apache Foundation
      -

   No to “security” initiative
   -

      Is this a good idea? Anyone else willing to push it …
      -

      Ideas:
      -

         Push bug button on home page website
         -

         Put a “information” message to admins when logged in to admin UI
         (control with Environment variable/checkbox in the GUI)
         -

      GeoTools Security policy is live :)
      -

         Enabled vulnerability reporting as an experiment; if successful we
         will add to GeoServer
         -

   GeoServer fundraising progress:
   -

      We have $3700 from 2022 to start from; but this does not match
      project needs for security fixes (for example)
      -

      https://blog.qgis.org/2023/01/16/crowd-funding-call-2023/ and
      https://www.qgis.org/en/site/about/sustaining_members.html
      -

         A lot of small donations, with the bulk of funding from larger
         contributions
         -

      https://gdal.org/sponsors/index.html
      -

         Howard went and did the legwork to ask for larger amounts