Some providers of ESRI Shapefile data provide an additional *.cpg-file containing the character set name for string-fields in the *.dbf-file. One such provider is HERE/NavStreets street map data.

Currently the API-user has to specify a Charset to the ShapefileDataStoreFactory to ensure properly read string values. The application has to ask the application-user to look up the Charset in the *.cpg-file and copy or type the name. That's rather awkward.

I prepared a solution which adds 15 lines to ShapefileDataStoreFactory plus a unit-test and test-data. If a file named <my_shapefile>.cpg is present beside <my_shapefile>.dbf and the other files, and the Charset can be determined from the file without error, a possibly present factory parameter is ignored and overridden by the Charset found in the file.

What do you think?

Regards
Burkhard