GeoTools / GeoServer PMC meeting - 2024-02-13Attending

   -

   Peter Smythe
   -

   Gabriel Roldan
   -

   Jody Garnett
   -

   Torben Barsballe
   -

   Andrea Aime
   -

   Jukka Rahkonen
   -

   Kevin Smith

Actions from prior meetings:

   -

   [DONE] Peter: Make a PR to update the PSC list (in the developers guide)
   gabe: Please help with review of #7156
   -

   [DONE] Peter: Check-in with Brad to see how we can help/plan 🙂
   -

   Peter: Share new wiki pages with the community
   -

   [WIP] gabe: Will make a PR for parallel loader
   -

   andrea: add peter to the security vulnerabilities issues

Agenda

   -

   Release schedule
   -

   mkdocs update
   -

   Discourse update
   -

   github security advisory graph question
   -

   Worldwide installations of GeoServers
   -

   Firefox redirection
   -

   GEOS-11284 Promote community module "datadir catalog loader" to core
   -

   GEOT-7411 App-schema performance improvement in setting attribute values
   -

   SLD Arrow Regression
   -

   JNDI documentation critical fix
   -

   “www” no longer serving JS apps

Actions

   -

   Peter: create a sed script to fix email addresses in sourceforge lists
   export
   -

   Jody: setup a github workflow to use dependency submission API

<https://docs.github.com/en/code-security/supply-chain-security/understanding-your-software-supply-chain/using-the-dependency-submission-api>
   -

Release schedule

GeoTools 29.5 / GeoServer 2.23.5 this month

Need a volunteer - Andrea will ask around GeoSolutions but no promises.
Fallback: Peter

Next RC cycle (2.25) is also approaching.

Adjusting release schedule to avoid extra 2.24 stable release…

https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/wiki/Release-Schedule

Several potentially large changes outstanding:

   -

   Wicket 9 <https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/pull/7154> (postpone to
   2.26)
   -

   Resources and Paths API
   <https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/pull/7156>
   -

      one legit bug on windows
      -

      Firefox redirectionand stuck on difference of opinion on API meaning
      (need to clarify javadoc)
      -

      action: gabe: volunteer to check in on this later in the month
      (breakout meeting)
      -

   startup enhancements (should be good)
   -

   mkdocs (branch <https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/tree/mkdocs>)
   (timing would be good)

sidebar: Handling of WPS results with respect of ResourceStore and multiple
containers

   -

   there is some other way to handle that, can check system property
   -

   ideally a blob storage would be good for shared WPS output
   -

   Configure in WPS administration panel, where to share output

mkdocs update

Download directives now work:
https://jodygarnett.github.io/geoserver/introduction/license/

   -

   docs/introduciton/download/download.txt - lists “external” files
   -

   docs/introduction/download/.gitignore - to avoid storing duplicate files
   -

   mkdocs.yml has a hook to code to read download.txt above

Example of using {{ version }} and {{ release }}:

   -

   https://jodygarnett.github.io/geoserver/installation/docker/
   -

   Short term {{ release }}
   -

   Jody would like to grab these from pom.xml (this would be a change to
   release procedure)
   -

   Or can we determine from git history
   -

   I cannot determine with git because our tags are not on our branch, ours
   are not :)

Can we convert the chinese docs:

   -

   yes we could, there is a language chooser
   -

   can convert chinese docs later, run the script, need a native speaker to
   review
   -

   jody has a script to convert language, but need a native speaker to
   review results

Discourse update

https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/3104#comment:7

Migration broken by SF anonymization…

Action: Peter to create a sed script to fix email addresses
github security advisory graph question

A change to a published vulnerability came in from Mark:

   -

   https://github.com/github/advisory-database/pull/3483
   -

   Q: why is this not being made to our geoserver one?

Fundamental questions:

   -

   For a vulnerability in gs-web-core …
   -

   Do we also record gs-web-app? For the war overlay use?
   -

   Do we also record against the war for download use
   -

   Do we also record against the windows installer …
   -

   Would this change for wps extension?

Jody’s expectation is to write down the most specific thing … and trust the
tools

The answer provided by dependabot is a github action, that would run for
each tag, that would publish the “graph” based on the pom.xml file
relationships.

   -

   https://github.com/dependabot/dependabot-core/issues/2640
   -

      No it does not handle maven pom.xml directly, there is an action that
      processes the dependency:tree into the “graph” used by the tools
      -

   would it be smart enough for profiles?

action: setup a github workflow to use dependency submission API
<https://docs.github.com/en/code-security/supply-chain-security/understanding-your-software-supply-chain/using-the-dependency-submission-api>
Worldwide installations of GeoServers

Nope: https://www.geoseer.net/ (also
https://www.geoseer.net/blog/?p=2020-06-04_geospatial_server_software )

SourceForge downloads used to give some view GeoServer - Browse /GeoServer
at SourceForge.net
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/geoserver/files/GeoServer/> but people
are installing by other means as well.

Note docker is downloading extensions from SF on each startup (almost like
a phone home)
Firefox redirection

Not quite sure where the problem is, Jody uses firefox for testing and has
not noticed anything.

Jukka made a test. Works for him with GS 2.24.2 and Firefox version
115.7.0esr
GEOS-11284 Promote community module "datadir catalog loader" to core

Gabe is working, and has three things left (app-schema, sld-service,
metadata …)

   -

   Has been adding tests, and finding glitches
   -

   The update process was setting up info’s with reference to the “old”
   (non updated) catalog

GEOT-7411 App-schema performance improvement in setting attribute values

Same failures as without the changes.

Gabriel to look into fixing some of the existing failures too!
SLD Arrow Regression

It looks like this was not noticed during release-candidate testing (which
is when we allocate some time to fix regressions),

Checking around everyone is indeed using; resource time/funding would be
required to make this more general again.
JNDI documentation critical fix

Critical? JNDI tomcat documentation properties was incorrect:

   -

   Our docs indicate Tomcat JNDI setting uses maxActive
   -

   Tomcat 8 now uses maxTotal
   -

   …. quiet about ignoring the old maxActive setting, defaulting to 8
   connections

Docs are now fixed:

   -

   https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/pull/7417

   -

https://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/tutorials/tomcat-jndi/tomcat-jndi.html#tomcat-setup

Action: Highlight in release notes
“www” no longer serving JS apps

https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/pull/7420

That is probably a consequence of recent header changes

   -

   Feedback is to have a setting to disable FilePublisher (www folder),
   rather than force all content there to text/html (which defeats the reason
   to have a www folder).
   -

   Discussion will continue on PR