Colleagues:

Several scholars on this list study nonprofits/NGOs and have written on
governance failures. The article
we published on the Oxfam scandal in the Washington Post/Monkey Cage Today
might interest them:
The Oxfam scandal shows that, yes, nonprofits can behave badly. So why aren’t
they overseen like for-profits?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2018/02/19/the-oxfam-scandal-shows-that-yes-nonprofits-can-behave-badly-so-why-arent-they-overseen-like-for-profits/?utm_term=.2c52a0e35df4

The civic sector plays an important role in the contemporary society.Yet, the
Oxfam scandal (and other scandals that are now getting revealed as well as the
cover-up at Oxfam since 2011 of the Haiti episode) raises serious questions
about our theoretical understanding of the NGO/nonprofit sector.

Yes, this is not the first scandal. Nevertheless, if a moral leader such as
Oxfam has serious governance failures, we should seriously examine our
conception of the NGO/NPO sector -- with the intent to reform it. To do so, we
need to study both the successes and failures of NPO/NGO governance.

Aseem

Aseem Prakash
Professor, Department of Political Science
Walker Family Professor for the College of Arts and Sciences
Founding Director, UW Center for Environmental Politics
39 Gowen Hall, Box 353530
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3530

http://faculty.washington.edu/aseem/