Dear all,

The sources and governance of climate finance have been widely debated since
the 2009 climate change summit in Copenhagen, when rich countries promised to
provide US$ 30 billion in additional climate finance by 2012 and to mobilize
US$ 100 billion a year by 2020 to address the mitigation and adaptation needs
of developing countries.

Have developed countries respected their financial commitments? Which countries
have been the main beneficiaries of international climate money? As simple as
these questions may seem, answers to them have proved to be highly
controversial and have contributed to a continuous erosion of trust between
Parties in international climate negotiations.

Our article explores the controversies around international climate finance
figures. It examines how the lack of internationally agreed modalities to
account for climate finance has given rise to a plethora of accounting and
reporting practices that leads to widely contrasting statements on climate
finance.

We show that, despite some gaps, the Paris Agreement’s “enhanced transparency
framework” could lead to marked improvements in the way climate finance is
accounted and reported.

Our paper (with J. Timmons Roberts) is available in open access at:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17565529.2017.1410087

I also take this opportunity to share with you two other very recent
publications:

Ciplet, D., Adams, K., Weikmans, R., & Roberts, J.T. (2018), « The
Transformative Capability of Transparency in Global Environmental Governance »,
Global Environmental Politics, DOI: 10.1162/glep_a_00472,
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/326056473_The_Transformative_Capability_of_Transparency_in_Global_Environmental_Governance

Gewirtzman, J., Natson, S., Richards, J.-A., Hoffmeister, V., Durand, A.,
Weikmans, R., Huq, S., & Roberts, J.T. (2018), « Financing loss and damage:
reviewing options under the Warsaw International Mechanism », Climate Policy,
vol. 18, n°8, p. 1076-1086, DOI: 10.1080/14693062.2018.1450724,
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323917287_Financing_loss_and_damage_reviewing_options_under_the_Warsaw_International_Mechanism

And for those of you who can read French:

Weikmans, R. (2018), « Évaluation de l’aide et mobilisation financière
internationale autour de l’adaptation au changement climatique », Revue
internationale des études du développement, vol. 2, n°234, p. 151-175, DOI:
10.3917/ried.234.0151,
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/325104811_Evaluation_de_l'aide_et_mobilisation_financiere_internationale_autour_de_l'adaptation_au_changement_climatique

Best wishes,

Romain

__

Dr Romain WEIKMANS
Postdoctoral Research Fellow – Centre for Studies on Sustainable Development
Lecturer – Solvay Brussels School of Economics and Management

Department of Geosciences, Environment and Society
Institute for Environmental Management and Land Use Planning
Centre for Studies on Sustainable Development
Postal Address: Avenue Franklin Roosevelt 50 CP130/03, 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Office: Avenue Antoine Depage 30, 1050 Brussels, Building D, 6th Floor,
DB.6.248 (By Appointment Only)

Email: romain.weikm...@ulb.ac.be
Webpage: http://igeat.ulb.ac.be/en/equipe/details/person/romain-weikmans/