Hi GEP-ers,

Thanks to those who replied to my query on cross-national variation in
levels of expenditures on environmental protection. I've abbreviated and
copied the responses below:

There is a literature on regime-type and environmental protection. Rodger
Payne published a mostly theoretical piece in J of  Democracy back in 1995
and there has been a fair amount of empirical work since then. The
empirical testing uses a variety of measures for environmental protection,
including treaty ratification, pollution measures, etc. Some may use
spending, but I don't recall any off-hand.

…

Running the danger to be totally off topic, here are just some scatty
links to data sources on aspects of expenditures on environmental
protection:

Public R&S spending on the environment for EU countries can be found
here: https://green-horizons.eu/tis/environmental-governance

Environmental protection expenditure on waste management her:
https://green-horizons.eu/tis/waste-and-recycling

Government expenditure on renewable energy demo projects her:
https://green-horizons.eu/tis/renewable-energy

On the website there are also some other indicators your student may
find interesting for building a model.

What the website nicely demonstrates is the variety of different aspects
of environmental protection and I would recommend to your student to
disaggregate parts of it as sometimes specific expenditures may have
very regionally specific explanations, for example mining activities.

…

Lyle SCRUGGS – Sustaining Abundance

Steinburg and VanDeveer's Comparative Environmental Politics book for
comparative politics grounded ideas about the many factors that probably
interact with (or intervene in the relationships between) cost and
performance.

With thanks,

hvdv