Dear Colleagues,
I'm happy to share a new article that may be of interest. Please let me
know if you would like for me to send you a pdf.

*Ciplet, David, Kevin M. Adams, Romain Weikmans, and J. Timmons Roberts.
2018 "The Transformative Capability of Transparency in Global Environmental
Governance." **Global Environmental Politics**. **18(3): 130-150.*

We develop and apply a new theoretical framework for assessing the
transformative capability of transparency in environmental governance. Our
framework suggests that as norms related to transparency are recognized and
translated into accountability mechanisms, and as these mechanisms are
complied with, effects cascade and substantially influence the ability of
transparency to transform relationships of inequality. Utilizing the case
of climate finance in the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate
Change, we find that while a variety of norms underpinning transparency are
recognized within the governance architecture, their translation into
accountability mechanisms has been weak, and information disclosed by
countries is often opaque. This suggests that a focus on enhanced
transparency is unlikely to be sufficient for realizing a climate regime
that is adequate and equitable. Moreover, transparency should be seen as a
terrain of political conflict over the conditions of inequality, employed
differently by various coalitions to benefit their respective interests.

Best,
David Ciplet
Assistant Professor of Environmental Studies
University of Colorado Boulder