Hi All,

Here are the collected responses to my query on bringing students to the
UNFCCC. Many thanks to all those who replied!

best,
dgwebster

I have brought students before. I found that they benefited the most from
when they had a real nexus to the event. For example, we worked with a
group of small island states in advance to develop a specific report that
we released at the meeting, and held a side-event, with the students among
those presenting. They were, however, graduate students. Wil

Shannon Kathryn Orr via
<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1311182?hl=en>
falconbgsu.onmicrosoft.com
Fri, Nov 9, 11:03 PM (10 days ago)
to me

Hi DG,

I have been to quite a few COPs dating back to 2002. A few thoughts:

   - Observers have VERY limited access to the negotiations other than the
   plenary session. For observers, most participation will be attending side
   events, visiting exhibits (and events in the exhibit area) or perhaps
   observing the plenary.

   - Getting access to delegates who actually are involved in the
   negotiations is essentially impossible as they are too busy. In 2002 when
   the COP was small I spent a lot of time with the Malaysian delegation that
   was also at my hotel and was even invited as their guest into some of the
   writing sessions. That seems laughable now with the heightened layers of
   security and now two layers of access for delegates.

   - I have had very mixed success setting up interviews with other
   participants in advance – people are often hesitant to commit to meeting
   times and often cancel or don’t show up.

   - I brought graduate students to Paris, and it was okay. Honestly, I
   think they got pretty bored after the first two days. They had research
   projects to do, and I gave them guiding questions and such and we would
   meet to debrief. If I were to do it again, I would probably try to reach
   out to some other faculty who are going so that we could collaborate. I
   would be interested to hear how other faculty structured their experiences
   with students and what they did to keep them engaged. The students were
   glad they went, it was very eye-opening, but 2 days was enough in their
   minds.

   - I definitely recommend getting involved with one or more of the
   constituency groups (such as women, researchers etc…). This is a great way
   to get insight into the negotiations and to make connections with people
   who are actively engaged in the negotiations.

   - Be prepared for long waits at security and to get in! I don’t know if
   Katowice will have high attendance, but over the last few years it has not
   been uncommon to wait for an hour or more to get in every day.

   - Definitely make a calendar of everything you want to attend and the
   locations. But always, always doublecheck to confirm – there will be
   screens set up around the venue to announce cancellations and room changes.

Let me know if you have any specific questions! Most importantly, have fun.
It’s a great experience. I feel like I sort of highlighted a lot of
negative things here, but it really is a great experience and an excellent
chance to connect with passionate and inspiring people.

Jennifer Allan <jennifer.i.al...@gmail.com>
Nov 10, 2018, 8:34 AM (9 days ago)
to me
Hello DG,

We met at ESG when I was chairing the Oceans panel. Poland will be my 6th
COP - I'm with ENB. Happy to skype if you like.

Some quick observations, tailored for oceans-related interests:
- There is nothing on the formal negotiation agenda related to oceans,
although there is increasing interest in the side event / non-state actors'
world.  The schedule is finally up at:
https://unfccc.int/process-and-meetings/conferences/katowice-climate-change-conference-december-2018/side-events-and-exhibits-at-cop-24.
The side events area is great, not tinged by the divisions and acrimony in
the negotiations.
- Last year, I noticed that the UNEP had organized all of the
oceans-related side events. I'm not sure if that is the case this year.
There is an archive of side events here:
https://seors.unfccc.int/seors/reports/archive.html . It might be
interesting to see if organizers or speakers from last year are around to
chat.
- It should be easy to meet people and chat. Generally speaking, people
tend to prefer to figure a time for a coffee on short notice, but it is
worth contacting people in advance to flag your interest. The side events
schedule and exhibition space should have contact information for the
organizers, and names of speakers.
- Small island states are of course interested in oceans issues. Ronald
Jumeau might be a good person to start with.
- Your yellow badge gets you into side events, plenaries, cotanct
groups,exhibition areas, and (I think) media areas (where press conferences
are held and can be interesting).
- As a researcher, you could probably sit in on the RINGO (research and
independent NGO) constituency. They have a website:
https://ringosnet.wordpress.com/ that probably has the contact information
for the constituency focal point.
- Pack your patience. It's airport style security at the entrance, and
likely will be shuttle buses to get to/from the venue. Wear comfy shoes!

Feel free to contact me anytime throughout. This email is easiest, or on
whatsapp I'm at +1 604-716-0256.

Best,
Jen

*Marielle Papin *<marielle.papi...@ulaval.ca> Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 3:01 AM

To: "dgweb...@gmail.com" <dgweb...@gmail.com>

Hi,

I have recently heard about this webinar
<https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/5555915112847888897> for
first-time COPers. I have not registered as I focus on cities and I think
it is more negotiation-oriented, but it might be of interest to you!

Best,