Hi everyone,

Folks interested in the politics of sustainability or oceans might be
interested in our article that is now in Global Environmental Politics. If you
respond to this email, I will gladly share it with you.

"The Shifting Context of Sustainability: Growth and the World Ocean Regime"
18(4), 85-106

Peter J. Jacques and Rafaella Lobo

Abstract

To better understand how regimes select norms and how sustainability concepts
are used and change, we conduct a quantitative content analysis of important
documents specifically related to a critical Earth system, the “World Ocean.”
Using the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization’s State of the
World’s Fisheries and Aquaculture reports from 1995 to 2016, we find that
economic norms have always been dominant, and the use of sustainability
concepts has become increasingly growth oriented. Discourses of restraint,
relevant to principles of sustainability, are virtually absent. Growth is the
central driving concern for the World Ocean Regime, a noncodified, economistic
regime that governs the oceans. We conclude that the norms of sustainability
have been selected for fitness with the neoliberal political–economic order and
a totalizing ideology of growth, and that sustainability concepts are used as a
mask to legitimize extractivist goals that are actually not sustainable

Cheers and happy holidays!

Peter

Peter Jacques, Ph.D.

Fall Office Hours Tues 9-11; Weds 1230-230

Professor and Internship Coordinator

Department of Political Science<http://sciences.ucf.edu/politicalscience/> &

National Center for Integrated Coastal
Research<https://www.ucf.edu/research/coastal-center/>

President of the Association of Environmental Studies and
Sciences<https://aessonline.org/> 2018-2020

Earth System Governance Senior Research
Fellow<http://www.earthsystemgovernance.org/person/peter-jacques/>

Associate Editor: