Dear Colleagues,
Philanthropic individuals and organizations are important agents of
environmental governance that remain largely under the radar of environmental
governance scholars. We are trying to change that!

We are soliciting abstracts for papers to be considered for a special issue of
Conservation Science and Practice on Conservation Philanthropy.  Please share
the announcement below with potentially interested colleagues.

Warmly,

Rebecca

* * *
**Call for Papers**
Special Issue of Conservation Science and Practice on “Conservation
Philanthropy"
Guest Editors: Rebecca Gruby (Colorado State University), Ash Enrici (Indiana
University), and Daniel C. Miller (University of Illinois/University of Notre
Dame)
Overview:
We are living in an era of mega-wealth and big philanthropy. Philanthropic
individuals and organizations affect conservation in profound ways, both
through their funding decisions and direct engagement in conservation policy
and practice. Despite its growing prominence, however, conservation
philanthropy—voluntary contributions of money, property, or time in support of
conservation—has received little scholarly attention. This omission limits
knowledge on how philanthropy works (and could work) to influence conservation
agendas, organizations, networks, research, local communities, and natural
systems around the world. There is a significant need for research that can
inform debate, policy, and practice in relation to conservation philanthropy.
Special Issue focus:
This special issue of Conservation Science and
Practice<https://conbio.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/25784854> will include
papers that explore conservation philanthropy from diverse theoretical,
methodological, and geographical perspectives, with explicit attention to
informing conservation science and practice.  As the first special issue to
focus on conservation philanthropy, we aim to mobilize scholarly attention to
this prominent yet under-studied dimension of conservation. The scope is broad,
covering any biome or country context. Contributions may consider any type of
philanthropy, including high net worth individuals and organized philanthropy,
such as private or community foundations.
We invite contributions on topics including but not limited to:

  *   Funding flows, showing relative contributions to particular conservation
issues or geographies coming from philanthropy compared to other types of
donors;
  *   Roles of philanthropy in conservation (e.g., in agenda-setting, knowledge
production, capacity building, convening, etc.);
  *   Social and ecological outcomes of conservation philanthropy, including
differential effects across gender, race, class, and other social distinctions;
  *   Critical perspectives, including analyses of ‘philanthrocapitalism’;
  *   Internal organizational dynamics of foundations working on conservation;
  *   Issues of legitimacy, equity, and justice in conservation philanthropy;
and
  *   Applied best practices.
We are especially interested in empirical contributions (e.g., case studies,
small- or large-n comparative work, etc.) but will also consider review or
perspective pieces.
Contact information:
To submit an abstract for a paper to be considered for the special issue or for
more information please contact Dr. Rebecca Gruby
(rebecca.gr...@colostate.edu<mailto:rebecca.gr...@colostate.edu>).  We look
forward to your abstracts!
Timeline:

  *   30 June 2021: Deadline for interested authors to submit short (<300
words) abstracts
  *   15 July 2021: Deadline for editors to invite full contributions for the
special issue
  *   15 November 2021: Deadline for submission to Conservation Science and
Practice

____________________________

Dr. Rebecca Gruby (She/her)
Associate Professor
Dept. of Human Dimensions of Natural Resources
Colorado State University

Phone: +1 (970) 491-5220
Skype: Rebecca.Gruby
Office: Forestry, Rm. 234
Web: Gruby Lab <https://sites.warnercnr.colostate.edu/rebeccagruby/>
Human Dimensions of Large Marine Protected
Areas<https://humansandlargempas.com/>

Visit CSU Land Acknowledgment<https://landacknowledgment.colostate.edu/> for
history of Native peoples and nations that lived and stewarded the land where
the university now resides.