FYI, thought this piece might be interesting to some members of the list.
Cheers, wil

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Petter Haugneland
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 12:16 AM
To: Climate Change Info Mailing List
Subject: Meeting Kyoto Commitments: European Union Influence on Norway and
Germany - New CICERO Working Paper

New CICERO Working Paper:

Meeting Kyoto Commitments: European Union Influence on Norway and Germany

Reference:
Bang, Guri, Jonas Vevatne, Michelle Twena and Ho-Ching Lee, 2004. Meeting
Kyoto Commitments: European Union Influence on Norway and Germany. Working
Paper 2004:12.

Details and download:
http://www.cicero.uio.no/publications/detail.asp?publication_id=3288&lang=en

Abstract:
In this paper, we seek to understand and explain how the EU has influenced
the climate change policymaking processes in Norway and Germany, despite
strong prior national preferences. We ask how the EU has affected the choice
and design of climate policy instruments. Has the EU been a decisive factor
in shaping policy responses, or has domestic politics mattered more? To
address these questions empirically, we focus on the policy formulation of a
particularly relevant and recently debated climate policy issue, namely,
emissions trading. We focus on the objectives that national governments have
sought to meet, examine the values and principles underlying those
objectives, identify the means through which each country has attempted to
achieve their desired goals, and go on to investigate how this process may
have been influenced by the EU. We analyze the policymaking process for an
emissions trading scheme in the EU, and discuss the processes through which
emissions trading has been introduced as a policy instrument alternative in
Norway and Germany. We examine the extent to which the EU appears to have
influenced policy instrument choice in the two countries and suggest reasons
for this.

---
You are currently subscribed to climate-l as:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
- Subscribe to Linkages Update to receive our fortnightly, html-newsletter
on what's new in the international environment and sustainable development
arena: http://www.iisd.ca/email/subscribe.htm
- Archives of Climate-L and Climate-L News are available online at:
http://www.iisd.ca/email/climate-L.htm
- Archives of Water-L and Water-L News are available online at:
http://www.iisd.ca/email/water-L.htm